Sunday, December 9, 2007

Teacher Man -- Chapter 17/18 Response

I thought the last two chapters closed the book rather nicely. In particular, I really liked the advice McCourt gave to the young substitute teacher:

“I know I’m exaggerating but [being a teacher] is like being a boxer going into the ring or a bullfighter into the arena. You can be knocked out or gored and that’s the end of your teaching career. But if you hang on you learn the tricks. It’s hard but you have to make yourself comfortable in the classroom. You have to be selfish. The airlines tell you if oxygen fails you are to put on your mask first, even if your instinct is to save the child.”

As a young teacher, I think this will be the hardest thing for me to do. I am very much a people pleaser, and I have to remember that I need to take care of myself first. If I don't help myself, I won’t be able to help my students either.

Finally, the story of Guy Lind was another heartwarming story. McCourt reminds us one last time to count our blessings and to be thankful for all that we have. Life isn’t easy, but we are alive, and we should appreciate the little things – like the time the students sprinkled confetti on our heads and thanked us with their smiles for the time they spent in our classrooms.

No comments: